Sermon Study Questions
Pastor James will post his Sermon Study Questions every Tuesday for the previous Sunday’s sermon. Our hope is for these study questions to promote deeper personal study and further edify our church body.
Sermon Study Questions for Sunday, November 15, 2020
Click for a pdf link: Sermon Study Q’s 11-15-20
1. Read Matthew 9:1-8.
2. How would you define and describe forgiveness? Be as thorough as you can.
3. Knowing this paralytic’s plight, Jesus doesn’t address his paralysis first, but He addresses the issue of forgiveness. The point was thus made that forgiveness is our greatest need. What two truths do you have to believe and embrace in order to accept that claim?
4. The Pharisees and the Scribes in attendance were shocked when Jesus told this paralyzed man his sins were forgiven. Why?
5. Which is easier to say, and why is it easier to say to a paralytic: “Your sins are forgiven,” or “Rise, take up your bed and walk”? What is Jesus’ logic in asking this, and how does it make His point that He has the authority to forgive this man’s sins (i.e. release him from his debt to God)?
6. Matthew tells us, “When He (Jesus) saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, ‘Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven.” How did Jesus see their faith? How is your faith seen?
7. What is the connection between faith and forgiveness?
8. Why is it that faith is the instrument through which forgiveness (i.e. being released from your debt to God) comes?
9. How can you apply this principle of forgiveness in your own life?