Sermon Study Questions
Pastor James will post his Sermon Study Questions every Tuesday for the previous Sunday’s sermon. Our hope is for these study questions to promote deeper personal study and further edify our church body.
Sermon Study Questions for Sunday, July 18, 2021
Click for a pdf link: Sermon Study Q’s 7-18-21
1. Read Matthew 12:38-45
2. Why is it so strange that the Pharisees requested a sign from Jesus at this time?
3. We see in the Pharisees request for a sign that signs don’t really have a saving impact on an unbelieving heart. Why is that? You may want to read the account of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31 to give more insight.
4. Jesus responds to the Pharisees request by saying, “No sign will be given to you, except the sign of Jonah.” He then goes on to say, “For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” Clearly this is foreshadowing Jesus’ death and resurrection. And this is the great sign God gives to all that Jesus is indeed from God. However, while this is clearly a reference to Jesus’ own death and resurrection here, the sign that will be given is the preaching of the Word. What in the text leads us to that conclusion?
5. What brought about the repentance of the men of Nineveh?
6. Why is it that the men of Nineveh and the queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with the generation Jesus was speaking to and condemn it?
7. What is the main lesson of this passage, and how does the story in v.43-45 of a man with an unclean spirit who ends up worse than at first illustrate this?
8. What does this passage tell us about the sufficiency and strength of the Word of God, and specifically the preached Word?
9. What application can you make from this text/sermon?