Sermon Study Questions
Pastor James will post his Sermon Study Questions every Tuesday for the previous Sunday’s sermon. Our hope is for these study questions to promote deeper personal study and further edify our church body.
Sermon Study Questions for Sunday, February 10, 2019
Click for a pdf link: Sermon Study Questions
1. Read Matthew 3:1-12
2. What is significant about John the Baptist, and why is this description of him given?
3. Why is it important to know what John the Baptist and Jesus mean by the term the kingdom of heaven in Matthew’s gospel?
4. Why does Matthew refer to the kingdom as the kingdom of heaven rather than the kingdom of God, as Mark and Luke do?
5. What does John the Baptist and Jesus mean when they speak of the kingdom of heaven? How would you describe it in your own words?
6. What do John the Baptist and Jesus mean when they say that the kingdom of heaven is at hand? In what unique sense has the kingdom of heaven come near?
7. As we see in John’s preaching and Jesus’ preaching, the response that the announcement that the kingdom of heaven is at hand requires a response of repentance. What is repentance?
8. As we saw (in the words of Luther), “Repentance is all of life,” meaning it’s not a one-time thing, but repentance is something that should always be a part of the Christian’s life. With that in mind, what are you currently repenting of, or where is repentance currently evident in your life?
9. What practical application can make from this text/sermon?