Sermon Study Questions
Pastor James will post his Sermon Study Questions every Tuesday for the previous Sunday’s sermon. Our hope is for these study questions to promote deeper personal study and further edify our church body.
Sermon Study Questions for Sunday, May 9, 2021
Click for a pdf link: Sermon Study Q’s 5-9-21
1. Read Matthew 11:16-24
2. Here in our passage Jesus is both rebuking and warning His audience. Why is He rebuking them? How does Jesus’ illustration point to this?
3. Can you see any way in which this rebuke would apply to you? If so, how?
4. What is Jesus warning His audience about? How does the warning tie in to the rebuke?
5. In warning His audience, Jesus affirms the final judgment. Describe the way the final judgment will unfold. How do you view the final judgment in light of the gospel?
6. Jesus is also teaching about accountability here in this passage. How is the lesson of accountability seen?
7. What do you learn about the varying degrees of severity in the final judgment from this passage? Read also Luke 12:37-40.
8. In warning His hearers about the final judgment, Jesus is also affirming the one way to escape that judgment. In doing so He speaks of repentance. Why does He speak of repentance rather than faith? How do you reconcile that since we know we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph.2:8-10)? What is the relationship between faith and repentance?
9. How does this passage of rebuke and warning encourage you as a Christian?